Wednesday, October 3, 2007

We aint going nowhere..............


You see them. They are everywhere. If you have the privilege or duty to commute to work in the DC area, you'll see them. See whom you say? Our children is the answer. The other morning I was running late to work (long night out) and I was in a bit of a rush. I had to stop to get change to put on the subway. I stopped in the store and bought some gum, and the cashier seeing that I was rushing kindly obliged me with his quickness. I take off walking like a speed demon, calmly passing the kids who were standing out in front of the store. Then the "youngins" posted up in front of the apartment building. And now past the police officer writing a ticket on a disabled car. Finally I reached my destination, the subway, I look at my watch and realized that it was 10:00 am. "Wow" I am an hour late, better hurry. That's when this hit me. While I was wearing off the tread of my new casual shoes, the kids weren’t in much of a hurry. Quite frankly, they weren’t moving! Even with a police officer in their vicinity, the kids went about their business as if they weren’t breaking the law. I know the police have bigger fish to fry, but allowing the kids to hang out on the "block" while school is in session is totally disturbing. I know blame the parents, but isn't it the job of police to pick up truants? I'm just saying, what do you think?
For those who don't know, here is MPD truancy policy.
A truant is a minor between the ages of five and 18 who without a valid reason and without parental knowledge or consent, does not attend school. Under the Truancy Law, students in public, private, independent, parochial or charter schools operating in the District of Columbia, as well as students from other jurisdictions, may be stopped by the MPD for suspected truancy.
Now tell the Kids to get to school!!!!
Thanks, Anonymous for the deal!!!

No comments: