Thursday, October 4, 2007

Now We March for Results.........


Man.. The scene was so thick

Low riders, Seventy-seven Seville’s,

El DawgsNuttin but them 'llacs

All the players, all the hustlers

I'm talking bout black man heaven
You know what im saying, peace.
(From Outkas's Player's Ball)

As you can see from the picture above, I am not talking about that nice cookout you had the privilege to attend this summer. Yes People, I am talking about the Million Man March. On October 16, 1995, an estimated 1.5 million black men converged on Washington DC to protest injustices which were tearing at the heart and soul of the black communities. And yes, you can spot me somewhere in that pic. Determined, Even if I had to lose my job, there was no way I was going to miss this supposedly historical event. While the march gave me a sense of pride, seeing my people standing up for justice in the black communities, I still left the march with a sense of emptiness. Even though the march went down without incident, there were still brothers at the march, who rather listen to the speakers, rather indulge in the alcohol and drugs that were a rallying cry for the march itself. The tens of thousand of women who showed up didn't help at all. While some wanted to be there to show support, other women where there to show what they had. All in all it was a good experience, until I look back at the pledge Nation of Islam leader, Louis Farrakhan administered to the crowd:

"I pledge that from this day forward, I will strive to love my brother as I love myself. I from this day forward will strive to improve myself spiritually, morally, mentally, socially, politically and economically for the benefit of myself, my family and my people.

I pledge that I will strive to build business, build houses, build hospitals, build factories and enter into international trade for the good of myself, my family and my people.

I pledge that from this day forward I will never raise my hand with a knife or a gun to beat, cut or shoot any member of my family or any human being except in self defense.

I pledge from this day forward, I will never abuse my wife by striking her, disrespecting her, for she is the mother of my children and the producer of my future.

I pledge that from this day forward, I will never engage in the abuse of children, little boys or little girls, for sexual gratification. But I will let them grow in peace to be strong men and women for the future of our people.

I will never again use the "b" word to describe any female, but particularly my own Black sister.
I pledge that from this day forward that I will not poison my body with drugs or that which is destructive to my health and my well-being.

I pledge from this day forward that I will support Black newspapers, Black radio, Black television. I will support Black artists who clean up their acts and show respect for themselves and respect for their people and respect for the heirs of the human family.

I will do all of this, so help me God. "

Not much has changed. Check these staggering statistics:


Black Men still earn about 70% of what white men earn.
We have an 11 percent unemployment rate. That's double the national rate
68% of Black kids are born out of wedlock
12% Of Men ages 20-34 are in jail
Black Women represents almost half (46%) of all women in jail. (Wow)
And I could just go on......


Current events and current affairs preclude us to have another march on Washington. DC to protests these same injustices once again. From the statistics above, it seems not as much has changed. I hope that the next march leave me with some sense that a change will finally come. One million black men marched for change on that day, with little results. Next time there will be more, but maybe this time, I hope that we leave no doubt, that we will no longer be taken for granted. Peace and Blessings................

No comments: